Featured Post

Perfect Imperfection

Tonight we put up our Christmas tree, the first Ravella/Gilbert tree. Actually we have two trees. One is artificial. It is perfect. It has p...

Friday, August 22, 2008

Importance of Prayer in my Life

Acts 17: 24-27

He himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 'For in him we live and move and have our being.

Well I'm on my way home from a business trip so I guess my free time to blog is about to end. I have enjoyed writing again. It is hard to find time when I need to build relationships with Ginger and the kids. But both Ginger and I feel it is important to write and seek opportunities for God to use us and the stories of Andrea and Troy as well as the amazing blessing we have in each other. I promise we will carve out some time to put down our thoughts.

We are approaching a milestone as a family, our last weekend of summer school and thus the first day of school. Starting school brings a new meaning and in some way solidifies us a little more as a family. Taking kids to parent teacher day, buying school supplies, new clothes and all that goes with the first day of school is what families do, normal families. So it is with a tinge of excitement that I look forward to Monday and all that goes with that first day. The kids just a little nervous about meeting new kids and a new teacher. Dropping them off and seeing them get out of the car with their backpacks on, running off to see new friends. Homework, sports, making lunches and everything hectic about school is about to start. It is what families do, and I like the thought of it all.

I hope that in February when life is hectic, trying to get the kids to do homework, getting up for school on a dark winter morning that I remember how nice it is to just be a normal family with all that comes with being normal. I'm learning that tragedy in life does not give you a "pass" on future trials or difficulties and that life is never without some issue that may range from small to large. I'm not expecting life to be perfect as if God somehow owes me that. And I don't expect to rejoice when the normal issues of life roll my way. I just want to live, become one with my wife, love my kids, and above all to serve my God in the blessings and the curses that are set before me.

We are always given the opportunity to walk by faith. It is just that we tend to take the small steps in life under the illumination of our own lamp, when in fact God is always there waiting with a lamp that will not lead us astray, we only need to ask. I always remember that about Andrea she would pray for anything, be it a parking spot near the front on a rainy, or for her cancer to be cured. She prayed both with the same intensity, she did not live life without God, she sought Him and she drew near Him and He drew near to her. But her most amazing quality was she prayed specifically, yet accepted the results from a God she loved and most importantly a God she knew loved her. She did not see God with her when an outcome matched her prayer and became angry at God when the results were somehow different. She praised God equally in all outcomes. I really think it was her daily faith built upon years of seeking God, and knowing He held her in His palm of His hand that gave her the strength to follow Christ in the end. She showed me faith, and trust in God is not circumstantial. I saw the same foundation of faith in Ginger when we met. I need to remember to look for those chances in my life to seek God's will and presence in my everyday life.

And live with the knowledge that He loves me knowing that prayer is not reserved for the oncologists office, the ICU, or a National cemetery, but that God wants to hear from me when I'm struggling to raise six children, when life is so busy I'm tempted to let my time with God or Ginger be put aside. And maybe, just maybe I will find myself praying when I can't find a parking spot in the front row. Thanking Him when I get one, praising Him when I don't knowing I probably need the exercise.

Luke 11:10
For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for that reminder and lesson on prayer. I loved listening to Andrea pray. Her prayers were never rushed, always filled with praise and love and always sounded like she was speaking to someone she respected intensely but knew intimately. I am so thankful your prayers are no longer prayed in the oncology office or in the chemo room but as you take your children off to school.

    ReplyDelete