Featured Post

Perfect Imperfection

Tonight we put up our Christmas tree, the first Ravella/Gilbert tree. Actually we have two trees. One is artificial. It is perfect. It has p...

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Chris Tomlin Concert

Andrea and I turned to many different sources of strength but one of the most important was music and one of the most important singers we listened to was Chris Tomlin. We were blessed enough to go to his concert twice while we were in North Carolina between 2006-2007. If you have not been to one of his concerts I highly recommend it. It is a very worishipful experience where the majority of the time is spent singing praise songs as the audience. It was there that Andrea stood next to me and stopped singing and just listened to all the voices singing "How Great is Our God." She journeld about that night and I inculded it in previous blogs but in exxence she thought, "This is what heaven is going to be like."


There were several other concerts that we attended. Third Day, Jeremy Camp, Bebo Norman, Jars of Clay, and Michael W Smith to name a few. I have very specific memories of Andrea at all these concerts but none more then Chris Tomlin. Truthfully, it has been emotional going to them again this past year and Ginger and I have pretty much been to them all, all except for one, Chris Tomlin. That is until tonight.


Since I lost Andrea I can't really pick an exact moment where I know I would have been with Andrea. Sure the holidays come to mind but I have moved so that is not the same. But tonight I know exactly where Andrea and I would have been...at the Chris Tomlin concert. We would have stood together and sang many of the same songs from previous concerts and a few from his new album, "Hello Love." But she was not here and in a way I felt closer to her tonight then I have in a long time. But then again I felt amazingly far away from her. We are in separate worlds for now and that was all to clear tonight. It made me think. I wondered if she could hear us? I wondered if she knew I was there? I wonder is she paused for a moment and remembered me. I know none of these thoughts are biblical but they were my thoughts none the less.


Tonight I sang and cried and missed Andrea but then towards the end Chris Tomlin sang a song from his new album called "I will Rise." He said it is easy to praise God when life is going good, but it is another thing to praise his when life is difficult and we need to be able to say, The Lord gives and takes away but blessed be the name of the Lord." Then he said he wrote, "I Will Rise" for people who lost someone, those who have felt pain. Here are some of the words to that song:


There's a peace I've come to know

Though my heart and flesh may fail

There's an anchor for my soul

I can say "It is well"



Jesus has overcome

And the grave is overwhelmed The victory is won

He is risen from the dead

And I will rise when He calls my name

No more sorrow, no more pain

I will rise on eagles' wings

Before my God fall on my knees

And rise I will rise





No comments:

Post a Comment