Featured Post

Perfect Imperfection

Tonight we put up our Christmas tree, the first Ravella/Gilbert tree. Actually we have two trees. One is artificial. It is perfect. It has p...

Friday, July 11, 2008

What It Means To Me

Hebrews 6:16-19

Men swear by someone greater than themselves, and the oath confirms what is said and puts an end to all argument. Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath. God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged.

We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure

Ginger had this tattoo done around the one year anniversary of Troy's death. It is on the inside of her right ankle. I will let Ginger write about the meaning of the tattoo and her reasons for getting it in a later blog. I wanted to write about the tattoo after being asked what I thought of it. Actually Ginger asked me the same question shortly after I met her. I'm sure many people think it was wrong to get a tattoo. I'm not sure I would ever get one but I don't hold any strong feelings either way. I will admit I have thought about it after losing Andrea and I will just say never say never. Never (how's that for short term memory) say what you would do if you were in someone else's shoes because you never (there it is again) know what you will do until you are faced with owning reality you are imagining. I'm pretty sure if Ginger wanted to cover her body with tattoos I would form an opinion pretty quick. But to me there was a reason behind this tattoo. And when I look at her tattoo I think of those reasons and every time I see that tattoo it is a reminder to me.

It reminds me of the great price that has been paid for our life together.

It reminds me of the pain Ginger suffered, the lonely nights. Friends came to help her and the kids but there always came a time when Ginger shut her bedroom door, turned out the lights and faced the loneliness of her life.

It reminds me of Nov 27th when her door bell rang and there stood men in uniform, telling her there was an "accident."

It reminds me of the day a box arrived at her home. It was from Troy and it contained a rug he had picked out for her. A rug Ginger laid on and wept.

It reminds me that two families and seven kids lives were torn apart.

It reminds me of 53 months of fighting cancer.

It reminds me of all the times I held Andrea when she vomited.

It reminds me of the chemo room.

It reminds me of waiting for test results, and never hearing what we had hoped for.

It reminds me of Troy and Andrea and all they did to make us who we are.

So I guess I do like the tattoo. In a sad sort of way it serves as a reminder of our past and the price paid for the present, and the hope we have in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment